Let’s reminisce for a moment, shall we? Think back to childhood…
You open your lunch box at school (I still use my 6th grade lunch box #cool) and yesssss your mom packed you one of those glorious blue-foil-wrapped Rice Krispies Treats.
Cue the angels singing.
Even though that sweet, crunchy square of goodness is calling out your name, you of course shovel down your spaghetti leftovers, meat analog chicken (maybe I’m the only one who had that in my lunch box?) and apple first before ripping open the Rice Krispies wrapper and inhaling that sweet, marshmallowy aroma. Gotta save the best bites for last.
Now jump back to today. Has your love for Rice Krispies Treats faded any? I think not. And mine hasn’t either! However, my desire to eat un-pronouncable ingredients has faded, as has my body’s ability to digest dairy products…
However, life without Rice Krispies Treats is not a life I want to live. Hence, these vegan peanut butter chocolate rice crispy treats came into being!
While I do kind of like some of the vegan marshmallows on the market these days, I wanted to take these rice crispies in a more natural direction. So, no vegan marshmallows were harmed in the making of these treats. Just good ol’ peanut butter and brown rice syrup!
Believe it or not, the only other ingredient besides the PB and brown rice syrup is chocolate rice crispies. Yeah, you read that correctly. Only THREE ingredients needed to make these treats! I suppose it’s FIVE ingredients if you add the chocolate drizzle. Which you must do because the more chocolate the better. Obviously. I think we can all handle a five ingredient recipe, right? Especially since it includes peanut butter and chocolate.
Back to the brown rice syrup for a second. If you’ve never worked with it before, I’ll tell you now that it’s very sticky. Which is why it works so well for vegan rice crispy treats! It doesn’t harden up quite the same as marshmallows + butter, but it will harden up to form rice crispies! Just make sure the mixture is pressed very firmly into the baking dish and that you give the treats sufficient time to set in the fridge. I won’t fault you if you give up and dig in before they’re fully set though 😉
These rice cripsy treats can be made with regular rice crispies cereal instead of the chocolate variety, but having that extra chocolate flavor within the treats adds some tasty sass you really don’t want to miss out on. I like Nature’s Path Chocolate Koala Crisp Cereal, but feel free to use whichever brand you find in your local grocery store!
Another thing you should feel free to do? Tell me what you think of these vegan rice crispy treats! I love seeing what you come up with, so leave a comment below or tag @somuchyumblog on Instagram so I can check out your creations!
- 4 cups chocolate rice crispy cereal*
- ½ cup brown rice syrup
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- ½ cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- ½ tsp coconut oil
- Line a 9x9-inch baking dish with parchment paper.* Set aside.
- Add rice crispy cereal to a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In a microwave-safe bowl stir together the brown rice syrup and peanut butter. Microwave for 15 seconds, stir, and then microwave for an additional 10 seconds.
- Pour mixture over rice crispy cereal and stir until all cereal is coated.
- Transfer to prepared baking dish and press down firmly and evenly.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes to set (4+ hours is best if you can wait).
- While the treats set, make the chocolate sauce. Add chocolate chips and coconut oil to a microwave-safe bowl and microwave in 20 second increments, stirring in between each, until completely melted.
- Drizzle chocolate sauce over rice crispy treats, cut into 9 squares, and enjoy!
*The rice crispies will be pretty sticky when removing from the parchment paper, so optionally you can lightly coat the parchment paper with nonstick cooking spray.