About 10 minutes after I took the photos for this post, I got a flood warning text on my phone (along with that ear-numbing beeping sound you hear on radio weather alerts) and then about 2 minutes later the clouds let loose all the cats-and-dogs rain they could possibly hold. So it’s a good thing I got these pictures when I did! Patience is a virtue, but it is not one of mine. I would’ve been so bummed if I had to wait to share this recipe with you!
It has been so hot and humid in Southern Cali, and for someone without air conditioning (me) that means severe rationing of oven use. Sadness. On a few of these hot days, however, I have caved in and turned my oven on anyway. Sometimes a girl’s just gotta bake, you know?
I decided to go the non-baked route for this one, though. Sometimes a girl’s gotta not feel like she’s melting in her own house.
This parfait is the perfect treat for a warm summer day. Layers of creamy lemon, fluffy coconut, juicy blueberries, crunchy grahams, and so much yum. Mmm hmm.
What’s even better is that this dessert is super easy to throw together! There’s really no excuse to not make these parfaits.
Get ready to make your taste buds happy.
- 4 full sheets graham crackers
- 1 (6 oz.) container lemon soy yogurt
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 (14 oz.) can full-fat coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Refrigerate the can of coconut milk overnight. This separates the liquid portion from the solid coconut cream. We want that cream for whipping.
- When coconut milk is done chilling, place the bowl of an electric mixer in the freezer to chill for 5 minutes. Remove coconut milk from fridge, flip over the can, then open. Pour off all the liquid portion so you're left with only the solid cream in the bottom of the can. Note: You won't be able to successfully whip the coconut cream if the liquid didn't separate properly or if you didn't pour/spoon out all of the liquid.
- Scoop the cream into your chilled mixing bowl and, using an electric mixer with a whisk attachment, whip on high for several minutes until fluffy.
- Once the cream is fluffy, add the maple syrup and vanilla while the mixer is still running and whip for another minute to incorporate. Scrape down the sides as necessary. Place coconut whipped cream in fridge while you prepare the rest of the layers.
- Pour lemon yogurt into a small bowl and stir in lemon zest (or alternatively, just stir the zest into the yogurt while still in its container). Place in fridge with the coconut whipped cream.
- Place graham crackers in a small plastic bag and roughly crush them, leaving some larger pieces in with the crumbs.
- To assemble: In each parfait cup, spoon a layer of graham cracker into the bottom. Continue layering with the lemon yogurt mixture, then the fresh blueberries, then the coconut whipped cream. Repeat same layers once more in each cup - grahams, yogurt, berries, coconut.
- Parfaits can be covered and stored in the fridge for a day or two, but the graham crackers may start to get soggy after the first day.
- Optional: Top with a little extra lemon zest or toasted coconut.