For the past few months, smoothie bowls have been my favorite go-to breakfast. It’s fun to get creative and combine all kinds of flavors and ingredients! Though some days I do just want simple. I’ve actually found that some of the simplest recipe end up being the tastiest! So that’s what spurred me to come up with this recipe.
Short list of ingredients + uncomplicated toppings = one of my favorite smoothie bowls ever
And it doesn’t hurt when you get to eat it with a sassy new spoon…
It’s such a shame that there was a period of time when I really overlooked bananas. I think I might’ve even gone an entire year without eating a single one! Terrible, I know.
About 6 months ago I saw the light, though. Hallelujah! Bananas all the time. They’re such a versatile and functional fruit, and an essential part of a plant-based diet. I mean, without bananas there would be no nice cream! And that would be a TRAGEDY.
This smoothie bowl recipe is all about bananas (don’t let the bright green color throw you off!). Frozen for the base + fresh for the topping. And yet, not overwhelmingly banana-y because there’s just the right amount of additional ingredients and toppings to balance it all out.
I hope you go as bananas for this recipe as I do!
(I apologize for the lame foodie pun)
- 2 cups raw spinach
- 1 serving vegan protein powder
- 1 medium very ripe banana (~80g), pre-sliced and frozen
- ½ tsp coconut extract (or sub vanilla)
- ½ cup almond milk
- ½ banana, sliced
- ⅓ cup blueberries
- ½ - 1 tsp chia seeds
- In the order listed above, add all the smoothie base ingredients to a blender and blend until completely smooth and creamy. Scrape down the sides as needed (it usually gets a little splashy in the blender for the first 10-20 seconds).
- Pour into a cereal-size bowl and place in the freezer for a few minutes while you gather the toppings. When ready, add all toppings to smoothie bowl in an artfully haphazard way. Devour!