Brownies. Sometimes you just need a simple, classic dessert, you know? Or sometimes a person at your work place requests brownies for the next time you bring treats to share, so you can’t just ignore that, you know? Whichever the case may be, I got just the recipe to help you out. Of course, we can’t have just plain brownies. I felt they needed some pizzazz to make them memorable. So I created a vegan version. With chocolate chips. Wild, I know.
Can I tell you a little secret? I really loved brownies as a kind. But I always felt a slight disappointment when I got a brownie that didn’t have chocolate chips in it. Those tiny morsels of chocolatey goodness made any brownie a great brownie. So clearly, these brownies have chocolate chips.
Feel free to experiment with other varieties of chips though – peanut butter, butterscotch, white chocolate, whatever you like! I chose to keep it more traditional, but don’t feel restricted to that by any means. I mean, follow the recipe overall…but you can mix things up a bit with the add-ins.
There’s really nothing too fancy to this recipe. One bowl, 11 ingredients (most of which you probably already have in your kitchen), and less than one hour from start to finish. I love recipes like that. Straight-forward and nothing complicated. Sometimes your brain needs a little break! And your stomach needs a lot of delicious.
In addition to chocolate chips, I think brownies also are better when paired with a big scoop of ice cream (or vegan ice cream, since the brownies are that way). These would be fantastic for a brownie-bottomed sundae, topped with whatever your fave ice cream flavor is, plus maybe a healthy drizzle of warm chocolate syrup. Yum. I’m thinking sundae Sunday might need to become a regular tradition in my house…
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup vanilla soy milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 oz. semi-sweet chocolate (or chocolate chips), melted and cooled*
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips*
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly coat an 11” x 7” pan with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
- Stir in the applesauce, soy milk, oil and vanilla. Add the melted (and cooled) chocolate, and stir with a spatula or large wooden spoon until all ingredients are well-combined.
- Gently mix in the chocolate chips.
- Spread batter evenly into the prepared pan and bake for 32-36 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let brownies cool in pan before cutting and serving.
- *I use Baker's semi-sweet chocolate bars and Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate chips. Many brands of chocolate are made with milk fat, so read the ingredient list on the package to make sure yours is actually vegan.
- Brownies can be covered and stored at room temperature for several days.
- One 11" x 7" pan
- (Serving size: 1/15 of pan, using 1/4 cup chocolate chips added in)
- Calories: 164
- Carbohydrates: 27 g
- Sugar: 18 g
- Fat: 6 g
- Protein: 2 g
- Sodium: 86 mg