Before summer completely winds down, I want to make sure I give a little attention to one of the season’s all-stars: Melons!
It wasn’t until last month that I realized how many kinds of melons there actually are. Sure there’s the standard cantaloupe, watermelon, honeydew… But then I’m browsing the farmers market tables and see signs declaring names like canary, galia, charentais, and crenshaw. Like, what? Clearly I had been missing out, which is unacceptable! So I bought a galia (and a cantaloupe, just to be safe).
The galia melon was fantastic so I bought another one the next week. I may have bought another one the next week too.
Now melons are wonderful to eat plain, don’t misunderstand my feelings about that. I’ve been guilty of eating an entire watermelon by myself.
But have ya tried filling a delicious melon with delicious things? Now that’s where it’s at.
The filling options are endless for melon bowls, so don’t feel restricted by what I’ve filled mine with in these photos! I mean, obviously you need the Pink Goddess Cream 😉 but beyond that, let your creativity run wild.
I like adding a few other fruits like berries and sliced banana, granola or chia seeds (or both!) for a little crunch, and sometimes (almost always) a drizzle of nut butter. Cashew butter is my favorite!
These melon bowls can be thrown together in minutes so they’re great as a fresh and nutritious breakfast, a quick mid-day snack, or even a healthy dessert. Fruit is so versatile and yummy any time of day!
Also, this recipe saves on dishes since you can just eat the bowl 😛
- 1 small melon (cantaloupe, honeydew, or galia - pictured)
- ½ block (~ 7-8 oz.) soft/silken tofu
- 1 small very ripe banana, pre-sliced and frozen
- ½ cup frozen strawberries
- 1 scant scoop vegan protein powder (optional)
- 1 tsp pure maple syrup
- ¼ tsp coconut extract
- Fresh berries
- Stone fruits
- Chia seeds
- Nut butter
- Slice melon in half and scoop out the seeds. Set aside.
- Prep all desired toppings and set aside.
- Add all filling ingredients to a blender and blend until completely smooth and creamy. Scrape down the sides as needed.
- Spoon filling into each melon bowl, add desired toppings, and enjoy!