So I decided to create a light, simple dessert to celebrate the bounty of this sunshiny season. I made these to share after teaching a 4th of July Jazzercise class, and they were the perfect patriotic treats. Exercise AND dessert? Sign me up.
Even though I made them for the 4th of July, these berry beauties really can be made for any occasion. Seriously. Don’t wait until the next holiday with a red-white-blue color scheme. Enjoy the fruits of the summer and make them now!
I really can’t emphasize enough how incredibly easy these are to make. Simple ingredients, simple assembly, fabulous results.
Hurray for summer!
- 1 -2 pounds large strawberries, rinsed and patted dry
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened (regular or ⅓ reduced fat)
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Blueberries, rinsed and patted dry
- Graham cracker crumbs, optional
- Using a small knife, cut off the stem and remove the small core of each strawberry, leaving each berry with hollowed-out center. Slice off the small, pointed ends of the berries as well so they're left with a flat base to stand on.
- Using a stand or handheld electric mixer, beat the cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla until fluffy, about 2 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Scoop the cheesecake filling into a pastry bag fitted with any size piping tip you like (I used a Wilton No. 21 open star tip). Squeeze the filling into each hollowed-out berry, then let your creative side take over and do whatever kind of fabulous swirl on top that you like.
- Gently push a blueberry onto the top of each cheesecake swirl. Optionally, sprinkle each berry with graham cracker crumbs .
- These are best eaten when chilled, so refrigerate until ready to eat.