Some days you just want cookies. Like, STAT. Well don’t worry because today I got you covered with some glorious oatmeal cookies!
These chocolate chip oatmeal cookies are both VEGAN + GLUTEN-FREE, require only ONE bowl + 10 ingredients you likely already have on hand, and they come together in under 30 minutes!
And, um, they’re fantastic.
Just ask Mr. So Much Yum’s firefighter crew, they’ll back me up! And unless some of them are reading this right now, they probably still don’t even realize they liked vegan + gluten-free cookies… Tee hee.
These cookies are reminiscent of my Vegan Breakfast Cookies (a.k.a. Melissa Circles) but with a few key differences. Those are more breakfast-y (…obviously) and these are more dessert-y! But still healthy. Yay!
Wait…no peanut butter?
I’ve been eating a lot of bananas + peanut butter lately. Like A LOT. Nothing wrong with that, of course, because YUM. So even though bananas + PB are super fantastic for making vegan cookies, I decided to go with neutral-ish ingredients. I wanted CHOCOLATE to be more of the star! Definitely nothing wrong with that. So almond butter + applesauce are what you’ll find in these babies! (Peanut butter would probably be fantastic though…)
Besides the yummy factor, my favorite part of this recipe is that it’s EASY. That’s been my recipe theme for this year, and I’m still standing by it. No craziness here – you only need 1 bowl + 30 minutes to have warm, chocolatey cookies!
I have a feeling I’ll be making many, many batches of these oatmeal cookies for my fire hubby + his crew (+ me). And I am totally okay with that! Healthy (vegan + gluten-free) cookies for all!
Speaking of all – that of course includes YOU! I’d love to know if YOU make this recipe (or any SMY recipe)! Tag @somuchyumblog in a photo on Instagram so I can see your creation, or leave a comment below!
Happy baking, friends!
- 1 ¼ cup quick oats (not old-fashioned/rolled oats)
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup almond butter
- ⅓ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 Tbsp pure maple syrup or agave
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup non-dairy chocolate chips
- 2 Tbsp chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together oats, chia seeds, cinnamon and salt. Add almond butter, applesauce, maple syrup/agave and vanilla, and stir until completely combined. Add chocolate chips and walnuts, and stir until incorporated.
- Use a cookie scoop to scoop dough (in ~ 1 ½ Tbsp amounts) onto prepared baking sheet. Press tops down to flatten slightly (I recommend using moistened fingers to prevent the dough from sticking). The cookies won’t spread much on their own while baking.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until cookies are slightly golden around the edges.
- Let cookies cool on baking sheet for 1 minute before sliding parchment paper + cookies onto a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Cookies can be stored in an airtight container for a few days.